Sunday 9 May 2010

The Big Reveal

I've decided to change the name of my blog. I've had my blog since 26th May 2004, which is quite an extraordinarily long time on the Intertubes! I've changed a lot in the last 6 years, and I've been unhappy with the old name for a while now. "The Barely Competent Knitter" just doesn't suit me anymore. Negative Nancy ruled the roost back then. It represents a past that I want to leave behind. Even the subtitle which I added a few years later - "A Work In Progress" - is only slightly better. Aside from that, I do a whole lot more than knit now! (I was going to put "just" knit, but we all know you can't describe knitting that way.)

I wracked my brain to try and think of a name that would encompass my passion, my multiplicity of interests, my child-like (and sometimes childish!) glee in discovering new things, and possibly even my tendency to remain anonymous and shy away from meeting new people (a few titles had the word 'hermit' worked into them). I googled all the names I liked and they were already taken! Darnnit! Yes, I'm vain enough to want a blog with a unique name. Besides, it's less confusing.

I let the matter sit on the backburner for a few weeks. Then I had a dream. It's well known that when other people talk about their dreams it's interminably boring, so I'll keep it short. I was on a cruise ship (why, I don't know, but it was fun!). There was some kind of trade conference on and I was there to show off my wares. The place was a-buzz with crowds and colour. There were lots of people waiting to see my crafts, my art and my writing. One thing was missing though. I didn't have a way to display them - I needed a table to put them on. I tried everything to get a-hold of one, but I couldn't beg, borrow or steal a table! I even tried pretending to be a buyer for Ikea, but no deal! The dream ended with frustration and disappointment.

At first I had no idea what this dream meant or if it was significant. Then I realised what it was trying to tell me - I am the table! A table is the best thing ever because you can put whatever you want on it: a pretty tablecloth and a delicious meal, a box full of paints and a blank canvas, a writing pad and a pen, a shabby chic vase with a single rose in it or even a bunch of self-help books. The possibilities are endless! And a table is a place to create and share and accomplish things. So, yes. I am a table. And my blog will be called this. If you're reading my blog raw (not in a reader) you'll be able to see that there's a new banner up there ^^ and a little blurb about the name over there >> .
[Edit: I have since shortened my blurb and added a link to this post.]

When I made the decision, here's how the conversation in my head went:

ApartmentCat: I'm so excited! I'm going to change the name of my blog to I'm a Table!

Negative Nancy: What are you, crazy? That's a stupid name! It doesn't even make sense!

ApartmentCat: Yeah, but I don't make sense! So who cares!

Negative Nancy: You're crazy! And a weirdo!

ApartmentCat: No I'm not, I'm a creative, wonderful person!

Negative Nancy: Ach, whatever. Go ahead. But you'll regret it in a few months.

ApartmentCat: Nyer!

We all know that Negative Nancy is a stupid-head anyway!
So there'll be some changes around here. I don't know what form they will take yet; we'll see. Watch this space! (Watch this table?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment