Tuesday 15 November 2016

Art is Important

Today, I worked on my art for the first time in 2 months. I kept hesitating because I was worried I'd screw up the canvases. Because they might not come out like the image in my head. Because my art is different to other people's. Because I can't draw as well as other people.

Today was different though. I decided to be brave. As I worked, I was listening to some old cassette tapes. Weirdly, when the song Kids in America started playing, the events of the last week must have caught up with me. Normally I never cry, but cried then, for all of the decent people of the world. By the time the song ended, I knew what to do. I remembered showing a friend some of my paintings a few months ago. Among other comments, he said that looking at them made him happy.

That's what I want to do -- I want to make people happy. Something shifted in me. I worked all afternoon, made some steps on a painting that I'd been hesitating to make, and started a new one. I can't imagine letting those doubts get in my way now. They're nothing compared with what I need to do. I hope this means that good can come from bad, not just for me but for the whole world.






2 comments:

  1. What a cosy little space! I'm particularly intrigued by the fat journal in the back there, looks like you've been busy (even though you can never predict when inspiration will strike...)! I adore your choices of colours too, I love turquoise and purple *__*

    Also, nobody's art is meant to look like anything other than what it does. Don't let yourself be limited by what other people do or think - everyone sees the world differently :)

    Btw, I wanted to let you know that I changed my blog url today - http://elderberrydragonscale.blogspot.co.uk/ So please change your bookmarks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The table was covered with junk until just a few days ago, I have to admit! I love this space even more than I thought I would - I'm currently collecting pictures and other things for inspiration.
    Thanks for letting me know your new URL. Your blog is one of my favourites and I wouldn't want to miss it! =)

    ReplyDelete